The Pilot Program
Through the efforts of Supervisor Wiener, Castro Cares received initial start-up funding of $115,000 a year for two years from the Office of Economic & Workforce Development. Through the continued support of the city, fully funded, the annual budget for Castro Cares is $250,000.
When fully funded, services will be concentrated along Castro, Upper Market and Church Streets plus heavily impacted adjacent streets, e.g. Hartford, 14th. See map.
When fully funded, the program will provide 95 hours/week of enforcement and outreach services:
- Service prioritized by seriousness and program hours
- 20 hours/week dedicated two-person outreach crew
- Outreach case manager for four hours per week
- Two stabilization hotel rooms
- 50 hours of added law enforcement presence seven days a week via SF Patrol Special Police
Current Uniformed Officer Schedule
- Friday 7:00 p.m. – 7:00 a.m.
- Saturday 7:00 p.m. – 7:00 a.m
- Sunday 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Note: Precise level of service is dependent upon funds raised with services scaled up or down accordingly. As the program develops and data is collected, some elements will be adjusted to meet program goals.
What are the Benefits of Participating?
Whether you live within the patrol area or outside it, your participation will ensure that our commercial corridor is a safer and more pleasant place to work, play and shop.
- Your subscription is tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law. Subscriptions will be made to the Castro/Upper Market CBD, a 501(c)3 non-profit (federal tax ID# 20-3417247)
- You will receive a window decal to show your commitment to the neighborhood and for identification to service providers.
- Subscribers will receive a monthly summary activity report covering both enforcement and outreach activity.